Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Letter to Antigone

Dear Antigone,

Antigone you are a couragous woman. To go agaisnt our Uncle, and King is just crazy, especially if its just to give our brother a proper burial. Antigone you respect Polyneices rights even though Polyneices did go against our city in battle. Never the less he is our brother, and I should have seen that instead of my fear of death. I am a coward and I did not want to risk the chance of getting caught and being sentenced to death by our king. It is a shame that both of our brothers are dead though just to be king. I hope you do not get caught by the authorities, or anyone who is loyal to the king. I say that because you are doing a noble thing and it deserves to be noticed but you should not be punished for it. If you are caught I will come forward and admit to being apart of this because you should not have done this on your own. Together we will honor our brother, even if you are mad at me I will still stand strong next to you when you are brought before the king, if you are caught that is.

I am ashamed that I told you I would not go with you for fear of getting caught. Polyneices was, and still is, our brother, and no matter what he did he should still be given that proper burial that he deserved. Antigone you are a much better sister than I. I wish you luck on your journey to do the right thing for Polyneices.



Your dearest sister,

Ismene

2 comments:

jessica said...

are you saying that antigone or creon is crazy in the first line?

Mekea Larson said...

I really like the tone on your blog. It actually sounded like Ismene, who loved her sister despite being timid. It made me think that Ismene values family as much as Antigone, as she is willing to die for her sister. The sad thing is that Antigone is remembered honorably as she was courageous for a brother who was a traitor. Ismene was courageous later, for the sister who she truly loved, and was willing to face certain death. I think Ismene should be thought of favorably for this, and this was something I didn't think of until I read your LRJ.